9/10/2010

Birders who Blog, Tweet and Chirp trek through Rhode Island!

juv black-billed cuckoo
I was flattered to be invited to a birding expedition by members of the Birders who Blog, Tweet and Chirp online community a couple of weeks ago. Both my husband and my son came along for some new birds and to meet expert birders.  Within minutes of arriving at Trustom Pond National Wildlife Refuge in Rhode Island, we spotted what we thought was a juvenile Black-billed Cuckoo, but actually is a Red-eyed Vireo.  Thanks to Ryan Schain for the corrected ID.


Red-eyed Vireo, originally uploaded by Ryan Schain.
This is Ryan's image of a Red-eyed Vireo.

juv black-billed cuckoo2
Compare Ryan's photo to mine, and you'll see why I am convinced he is right; This is a Red-eyed Vireo!

Juvenile Ring-necked Pheasant
We also saw a young Ring-necked Pheasant. This bird was so tame that someone said it felt like being at the zoo!

Juvenile Ring-necked Pheasant 2
She walked along the path very close to humans, and didn't seem at all shy.

Trustom Pond NWR osprey 2
We also got some great views of Ospreys hunting and nesting all over the preserve.

Trustom Pond NWR osprey
This is one gorgeous specimen!

Trustom Pond NWR osprey 3
Love the wing tips and the mask!

The trip was fantastic!  The Framingham bloggers missed the morning session and were late for the afternoon walk as well, so were are not in the group photos.  They are great photos, though, even without us.  I borrowed one from Dawn and wrote in everyone's name so I won't forget them. 

Our tireless leaders were Dawn and her husband Jeff from Dawn's Bloggy Blog. Cindy from Living in Brooklyn-Longing for Maine was there, and another Cindy, too. My cousin and mentor, Cathleen was there(actually my first cousin once removed), who is very well known as BirdingGirl in the land of blogs. Larry from The Brownstone Birding Blog was there, and Dan Forestal of Nature Observances by Forestal. The Bird Man of Bridgewater, John (Tucker), was also there with his sister Jane. Since Tom and Pete and I aren't in the picture, you'll have to guess what we look like!

I may not have seen all the birds there were to see, but I had a fantastic time all the same.  That Trustom Pond Refuge is one of the most beautiful places in New England, and worth a visit if you ever have time. And if you are ever invited to a Birders who Blog, Tweet and Chirp get together, make sure you sign up for the adventure.  You won't regret it, I promise you!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Susan, I just ran into this post. I had never seen your photo on the Blackbilled Cuckoo. Thing is, I believe you have a different bird than I do. I wish I got the Vireo. Take a look at the photo I posted claiming the BBC. I'd be interested in your opinion. Wish I could figure how to post a hyperlink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John. I have to admit I'm baffled. Maybe we did have two different birds! If anyone has any ideas on this mystery, feel free to chime in. A link to John's post is below.

    John's Blackbilled Cuckoo

    ReplyDelete

I love positive comments, critical comments,and corrections most of all!