9/26/2011

Something Completely Different and Crazy Looking!

Do you know what this is? I didn't have a clue what I was looking at when I saw a bunch of these birds at a farm this weekend.   This is a Guinea Fowl.  Isn't it the coolest and strangest looking thing?  Guinea Fowl are originally from Africa, but they have been introduced to other ecosystems all over the world centuries ago.  They are in the same family as Chickens and Turkeys, but less domesticated.  The absolutely coolest thing about Guinea Fowl is that they eat DEER TICKS!

This is the other full grown adult in the bunch.  Which is the male and which the hen?  I haven't a clue.  There are many varieties of Guinea Fowl, and from what I have been able to figure out, the males and females of each variety are supposed to be identical.  That's why I think this pair is a mixed marriage, so to speak.  I thought this bird was the female, but in retrospect I don't know why I thought that. 

This family has 14 youngsters, which are pretty damned cute themselves!  I swear, I could spend hours watching these guys - which is probably why they are often bought as more or less pets.  They aren't friendly towards humans, so they really don't make good pets - but they make great pest eaters!  They eat all sorts of nasty bugs and things.  They also make for good eating, or so I'm told.  They are sometimes known as the 'poor man's pheasant'.

Here is a shot of Mom and Dad with some of their offspring.  If anyone knows who is the Dad in this picture, please let me know! 

I'll leave you with another shot of a baby Guinea, also known as a keet because of the cute little noise they make.  I'll have more images and more information about Guinea Fowl to share with you later on this week, but at this point don't you just want some of your own?  I know I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love positive comments, critical comments,and corrections most of all!