9/03/2009

Ruby-throated Hummingbird in Framingham

Rubythroated hummingbird
I turned around and she was there - right in my own backyard. Somehow I managed to stop her wings, which proves that the D100 is a VERY FAST camera. Ruby-throated Hummingbird's beat their wings 50 to 80 times per second! For a novice photographer like myself, a catch like this is a real thrill.

Rubythroated hummingbird two
In the next frame she appears wingless, but the metallic sheen of her head can be seen better. This is a female or juvenile Ruby-throated Hummingbird, because it is not ruby throated. The males have the sparkling red throat, but the young males masquerade as females for the first summer. This probably keeps them out of fights until they are large enough (relatively speaking) to win one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love positive comments, critical comments,and corrections most of all!