2/04/2012

Arizona Canyon Rarities

This incredible bird is sometimes called a 'Clown Woodpecker'.  Can you see where he may have got such a name?  What you're actually looking at is an Acorn Woodpecker, a very interesting bird in all respects!  For one thing, the Acorn Woodpeckers spend an inordinate amount of time finding and storing acorns for future use.  The whole family unit often stores acorns in a single tree, which could have as many as 50,000 acorns stuffed into every available space!


Acorn Woodpeckers also eat insects and tree sap.  They absolutely love acorns, though!

I was so excited to catch a glimpse of this exotic looking bird - mostly for it's incredible little clown-face, if the truth be told! 

My son captured this acorn-filled tree a bit ago.  Now that is something I would have loved to have seen myself!


This little fellow should look sort of familiar to new England birders; but it's not a bird ever seen in New England!  This is a Bridled Titmouse!  Very similar to the Tufted Titmouse we know and love, but with an adorable bridled face!

Both of these beauties were just some of the life-lifters we saw in the breathtaking landscapes of Madera Canyon! And there is still more to come from this spectacular location!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of an Acorn woodpecker until this winter and now I hear about it all over. Now I know that Woody Woodpecker was developed from an Acorn woodpecker even though he looks just like a pileated, not an Acorn. Your photos from Arizona are so nice.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nellie! I didn't even know he was the model for Woody Woodpecker!

      Delete

I love positive comments, critical comments,and corrections most of all!