3/07/2013

The Nature of Framingham . . . in Africa?

Zambia.  Sometimes known as The Heart of Africa, or The Real Africa. Both are true.  This landlocked nation is indeed in the heart of Africa - some will go so far as to say it is shaped like a heart, in fact!  My son, Pete, has been living in Zambia for over a year.  He is a Peace Corps volunteer - and he LOVES Zambia!

These are some of the kids that Pete has come to know and love in Zambia.  What I would never have predicted a year ago was that we would be seeing Zambia for ourselves very soon.  But it's true: WE ARE GOING TO AFRICA!!

I'll skip over the real and imagined fears that I had to overcome before I would consider visiting Africa.  Pete's joyous raves about everything Zambian went a long way towards calming some of my fears.  His obvious love for the people and the country made it hard to resist.

Over time I realized that Africa was calling me, too.  Africa is the birthplace of all humanity, and I find myself longing to go back home.  For many people, such a sentiment will sound insane coming from the child of Irish immigrants long settled in the USA.  But being adopted has always denied me a place in this world.  I have always wanted roots; ancestors; a family of my own.  And if you go back far enough in time, everyone's ancestors can be found in Africa - including mine!

And oh - the wonders we'll see in Zambia!  Victoria Falls; one of the Seven Wonders of the World!

We'll be staying right next to the falls for a few days!  I've circled the Zambezi Sun Hotel, and we will be right there!

I haven't forgotten my passion for birding, of course!  I hope to see an African Fish Eagle while I'm there.  Look familiar?

I hope t post a lot more about our trip plans and about the magic of Zambia, Africa.  It may seem far from Framingham, but The Nature of Framingham is everywhere!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Sue!!!!! This is awesome! Good Luck to you and you family! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love positive comments, critical comments,and corrections most of all!