6/22/2010

Great Blue Heron Babies

There were more than a few families with younger chicks,and (although I try and maintain a scientific impartiality when blogging or birding) I think they are the cutest little things ever! Seriously - how can you not find those babies adorable? Click on the image to get a better look at their facial expressions.

I hate anthropomorphizing wild animals (at least I claim to hate it in public), but I can even imagine what each of these heron families are saying to each other. Click on the image to view larger and imagine this little guy talking away!

The nest on the left with the two babies all alone worries me a bit. Usually, one parent will be in the nest at all times when the chicks are this small. If both parents abandoned the nest for some reason, these two little guys are in big trouble.

The two little ones look healthy to me.  They can't have been alone for too long.

 Here is a small GBH nuclear family with a very tiny chick.  Isn't he adorable?


On one of the highest nests I saw this one old guy all alone (anthropomorphizing again - I don't know how old he is.) With his giant beard of plumes and what looks like two big feathers in his cap, I'm guessing he is the King of this rookery!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love positive comments, critical comments,and corrections most of all!